River and Trail Outfitters of Knoxville, Maryland was founded in 1972 by Lee & Eunsook Baihly, natives of Minnesota and Korea. Lee with his Eagle Scout’s experience used his knowledge and love for the outdoors to build a high-quality professional outfitter focusing on safety and excellent customer service. We are licensed by the Department of Natural Resources and are members of America Outdoors and Virginia Professional Paddlesports Association. Three decades later, River and Trail remains a family-run operation and full-service outfitter with over seventy staff offering a wide variety of quality outdoor trips in and outside the Tri-State area.
Why pick us?
- Forty five years of outfitting experience for FUN
- Great RIVERSIDE picnics with alternative meal options
- Family run & operated
- An excellent staff trained in CPR, First Aid, River Safety, Local & Natural History
- Travel information and assistance
- Trips allow time for swimming and relaxation
What we care about…
Safety First. We seek above all to provide a positive adventure for our customers. Screening of customers and conditions, proper equipment, and a well-trained staff are paramount to this goal. Add thirty years of experience to this recipe and feel confident about your choice of outfitter.
Customer service. We seek to go the extra mile and want to make sure that the trip you choose is best for you or your groups’ needs. We understand that this is your valuable fun-time and offer opportunities to picnic on the river, swim, and kick back and enjoy your trip.
Employees… let us entertain you. We can’t brag enough about our staff. From valedictorians to moms to professional river hippies…we have them all. The common thread is they are all capable, personable, and enjoy what they do. All are trained in river safety and boat handling skills and are glad to share their knowledge of natural and local history. In addition they receive guide certification from the West Virginia Department of Natural Resources. All are certified in Basic First Aid and CPR and many have additional certifications in Lifesaving, EMT, Swiftwater Rescue or Wilderness First Aid.
Environment & Health. We seek to protect the rivers & trails that sustain us by educating ourselves and others about environmental concerns as well as sponsoring river clean ups, recycling, supporting organizations concerned about local waterways and trails, and picking up trash. To promote a healthy lifestyle especially among our kid customers, our staff are smoke-free.
Community. We seek to provide families, schools, religious organizations, at-risk youth, twentysomethings, and in-general overworked & overstressed adults with valuable time away from the “real world.”
We are an environmentally conscious outfitter with a green recycle program.
- In-House Recycling Program
- Blue Heron Grill uses pasture-raised, local meats as much as possible
- Support small community businesses
- Discount and free trips for local fundraisers and silent auctions
- Our retail shop and raft house are energy efficient buildings
- Sponsor Antietam Creek Clean Up each year
- Participate in Alice Ferguson Foundation’s annual Potomac River clean up
- Promote trash free lunch options to groups
- Offer Chesapeake Bay Watershed River Eco Program for schools and groups