harpers ferry tubing
Go River Tubing on the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers near Harpers Ferry – Choose from 3 options from mellow to white water!
HARPERS FERRY RIVER TUBING - SHENANDOAH AND POTOMAC RIVERS
The Shenandoah & Potomac Rivers at Harpers Ferry were voted two of the TOP 10 TUBING RIVERS IN THE NATION by USA Today’s Reader’s Choice!
# 1. Shenandoah River Tubing - Most Popular Trip at Harpers Ferry
A mellow tubing trip - perfect for ages 4 & up!
The Shenandoah tubing trip is the most popular tubing trip in Harpers Ferry, and it’s easy to see why! Cool off for 1 to 2 hours while you enjoy a relaxed summer float on the historic Shenandoah River with friends and family.
- Price range: $30-$41. Discount for 12 & under
- You park your car where the trip ends, and we’ll shuttle you 1 ½ miles upriver. Tube right to your car!
- This mellow, beautiful stretch of river drops over shallow ledges along the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
- Double the fun with more than one run! Last run of the day is 3 pm on weekdays, 4 pm on weekends.
- Add kayaking or canoeing for only $10 more.
- Tubing on the Shenandoah River out in nature beats a “Lazy River” Water Park every time!
Shenandoah Tubing Detailed Pricing & Add Ons
On-line booking discount of 5% off
With Advance Reservations – up 30 minutes before trip
- Weekdays: $32/adult | $30/youth 12 & under*
- Saturdays: $41/adult | $37/youth 12 & under*
- Sundays: $39/adult | $35/youth 12 & under*
*Add 6% sales tax + $2.50 user fee/person
No hidden booking fees
Walk-ins will be charged a higher rate.
- Backrest tube: $6 upgrade
- Tube strap to hold tubes together: $2.50 upgrade
- Extra tube for cooler w/tube strap: $13 upgrade
Dimensions of interior of cooler tube
21.5″ x 13″ x 6.5″
Fits a 12 to 36 quart cooler size
- Dog Tube $22 Recommended to bring dogs on #1 weekdays or #2 Sundays. Well trained dogs that will stay close to you only.
- Add kayaking/canoeing: $10 upgrade
- Group 10-19: $5 off/person
- Group 20-39: $7 off/person
- Group 40+: $9 off/person
*Groups must pay collectively to be eligible for group discounts.
*Guide for groups may be added to trip for $100
May 1 – June 18 and September 5-30
Weekdays: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Weekends: 10:00am – 3:00pm
*Shuttles leave approximately every 15 minutes
June 17-September 4 & Holidays
Weekdays: 11:00am – 3:00pm
Weekends: 10:00am – 4:00pm
*Shuttles leave approximately every 15 minutes
Required Minimum Age: 4 years old (must be able to swim)
Weight Requirements: If under 50 lbs. must supply own coastguard certified PFD w/ crotch strap
#2. Harpers Ferry white water Tubing - Potomac river
Whitewater Tubing means max Excitement and thrills! For 12 yrs & 90 lbs+
The Potomac River whitewater tubing trip is perfect for those looking for more action than a gentle tubing float.
- Price range: $32-$41
- Class II-III waves and ripples will splash and thrill you on this river tubing adventure!
- Participants should be strong swimmers and in good physical condition. They should be able to self-rescue if they are separated their tubes.
- Incredible views of Historic Harpers Ferry National Park, 3 states – WV, VA, & MD, and the confluence of the Potomac & Shenandoah Rivers -all on one tubing trip!
- Double the fun with more than one run! Check for the time of the last departure.
- To promote a trash free and family friendly environment, only soft, collapsible coolers or dry bags that tie or hook to your tube handle are permitted on this trip.
- Airsoft packages are available at this location
Whitewater Tubing Detailed Pricing & Trip Times
With Advance Reservations – up to 30 minutes before trip
On-line booking discount 5% off!
- $32/person on weekdays*
- $41/person on Saturdays*
- $39/person on Sundays*
*Add 5% amusement fee + 6% sales tax + $2.50 user fee/person
No hidden booking fees
Walk-ins will be charged a higher rate.
- Quality standard tube with or w/o a seat bottom
- Life vest rental
Groups of 10-19: $5 off/person
Groups of 20-39: $7 off/person
Groups of 40+: $9 off/person
*Add a tubing guide for groups for an additional $100
12 years & 90 lbs
1-2 hours depending on water levels
May 27 – June 18 and September 5-17
Weekends: 10:30am, 12:00pm, 1:30pm
June 17 -September 4
Weekdays: 10:00am, 11:30am, 1:00pm, 2:30pm
Weekends: 10:00am – 3:00pm.
*Shuttles leave approximately every 30 minutes
*Groups of 15 or more can request other times and dates
#3. Potomac River Peaceful Tubing Float below Harpers Ferry, WV in Brunswick, Maryland
Choose this Deluxe trip for a longer, more secluded float with awesome guides.
Join us on this relaxing 3 hour tubing trip on a broad, scenic, and less crowded section of the Potomac River, downstream from Harpers Ferry.
- Price: $53
- Known for sightings of the majestic bald eagle and the prehistoric great blue heron.
- Lay back, get some sun, and take it all in as our accompanying river guides take care of the details.
- Tubing goes from the Brunswick Family Campground to Lander.
- Kids and adults alike enjoy seeing mallards, jumping fish, and water turtles in their natural home.
- Guests say our staff makes this trip so terrific! Trained in area natural history, they manage all logistics, safety support, snacks, maintain a trash-free environment, and are total fun-hogs.
- Soft, collapsible coolers or dry bags that tie or hook to your tube handle are permitted on this trip.
Potomac Peaceful Tubing Pricing & Trip Details
On-line booking discount 5% off
*Add 5% amusement fee + $2.50 user fee
No hidden booking fees
- Riverside snack
- Guides in canoes
- Quality tube
- Life jacket
- Group 10-19: $6 off/person
Group 20-39: $7 off/person
Group 40+: $8 off/person
Group 50-100: $9 off/person
7 yrs & 50 lbs
Approximately 3 hours depending on water levels and routing
May 20 to September 17. Saturdays & Sundays
*Other dates and times available for groups of 15 or more.
11:30am & 1:30pm Saturdays & Sundays
Harpers Ferry Tubing Season Passes - Save Big!
Get A Tubing Season pass for Whitewater & Shenandoah Tubing trips. unlimited summer fun!
Our tubing season pass offers you the opportunity to kick back to the max as you take advantage of tubing the Shenandoah and Potomac Rivers in the Harpers Ferry area. Voted in the top 10 tubing rivers in the nation by USA Today’s Reader’s Choice, these rivers are the local favorites, year after year! If mellow water is more your style, the Shenandoah River trip, located six miles above Harpers Ferry, offers an easy float on a broad and beautiful stretch of river. If whitewater excitement is more your M O, then floating the Class II-III rapids right by Harpers Ferry, WV is for you! Whatever the case, these two trips will satisfy your relax-to-the-max needs every time.
In addition, our pass includes hourly kayaking & canoeing in our Park & Paddle trip at our Shenandoah riverfront location. AT NO EXTRA CHARGE you and yours have access to paddling a variety of kayaks and canoes (based on availability).
Huge Value: Valid for Tubing Rentals (not guided tubing trips)
- Shenandoah River Tubing – Mellow
- Harpers Ferry White Water Tubing – Whitewater
- Park & Paddle – Canoe and kayak rentals – up to 3 hours
Tubing Pass Details
- $104/one person
- $175/two person
- $295/four people
*Add 5% amusement fee + 6% sales tax + $2.50 user fee
Season Pass Details
- Valid May 29-September 17.
- Note on Spring and Fall tubing: Pass is value on weekends & holidays only before June 10 and after September 4.
- Includes standard tube, PFD, shuttle with each trip
- May go on two trips that day as long as availability permits
- Limit 1 per person
- Passholder must be present on each trip
- Valid only for option purchased
Pass holder must be named at time of purchase and present for each trip
- Reservation required to ensure availability
- For Shenandoah mellow tubing pass holders must be 4 yrs old and 50 lbs
- For Potomac whitewater tubing pass holders must be 12 yrs old and 90 lbs
The following upgrades are available:
- Cooler tubes $13/tube
- Tubes with backrests $6/person
- Tube strap to hold tubes together $2.50 upgrade
- Subject to weather, water levels, and availability
The Tubing Season pass is valid for Tubing Rentals (not guided tubing) and Park & Paddle rentals!
- Valid to use for Shenandoah River Tubing – Mellow Trips
- Valid to use for Harpers Ferry White Water Tubing Trips
- Valid for Park & Paddle Rentals; Canoes, kayaks, or tubes at the Shenandoah Riverfront Millville Location.
Harpers ferry river tubing FAQs
Shenandoah Mellow Harpers Ferry Tubing is a 1-2 hour float that is good for families with young children and adults who want relaxation and flexibility. Cars are parked right at the river take-out for your convenience, and more than one run is available (as time and availability allow). On weekends, if you are a little early or late for this trip, it’s ok! The bus continues to run back and forth every 15 minutes. Be aware that our last bus on weekends departs at 4pm (check in 3:30pm). This trip is located 6.5 miles upriver from Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Minimum age is 4 years & 50 lbs (or bring your own vest)
Potomac Mellow Harpers Ferry Tubing is our staff favorite. It launches from the Brunswick Family Campground, 15 minutes from Harpers Ferry, West Virginia in Brunswick, Maryland. The area is less traveled and more remote than the other two tubing trips. The 2.5- 3 hour float features great blue herons, egrets, and often a bald eagle. A river guide is present on this trip to serve a snack on a river island, help carry small coolers in a canoe, and make sure everyone finds the take-out. Tent camping, RV camping, & basic cabins are available right at the check-in and launch location. Minimum age is 7 years & 50 lbs. Availability is Fri-Sun or any day for groups of 15 or more.
Whitewater Tubing Harpers Ferry is the tubing trip to choose if you are looking for more splash and waves and are a strong swimmer! On this 1-2 hour adventure on the Potomac River, tubers will pass through the beautiful confluence of the Shenandoah & Potomac Rivers at Harpers Ferry. Tubers will need to be aware of rocks as obstacles and use their arms to maneuver their tubes. Rocks and sandy shores are along the way for a place to relax and hang out on the river. More than one run may be an option based on time and availability. Large water bottles or small collapsible coolers that can hook to your tube are allowed on this trip. Minimum age is 12 years & 90 lbs.
Bring shoes with a good rubber sole that hook to your feet, such as old sneakers, velcro sandals, aqua sox, etc… FLIP FLOPS ARE NOT PERMITTED. We do sell water shoes at our tubing check-ins.
Remember that we do have a closing time for tubing. Do not arrive so late that you do not have time for your tubing run!
Reservations online or by phone are recommended but not mandatory for two of our three tubing trips.
Shenandoah Mellow Harpers Ferry Tubing does allow for walk-in tubers as does Whitewater Tubing Harpers Ferry. However, the walk in rate is higher per person, and it does take more time at check-in. In addition, if you are tubing during a less busy time of the season, walk-ins may not have a driver readily available to shuttle them.
For the two trips listed above, an online booking discount is available up to one hour before the trip time during our busy summer season.
Potomac Mellow Tubing does require a reservation, however, spots are sometimes available on the morning of the trip.
On our mellow Shenandoah River Harpers Ferry Tubing trip, upgrades are available.
- Tubes with backrests for $5 more
- Cooler tubes for holding a mid size cooler (includes strap) $12
- Tube straps to strap your tubes together $2/strap
- Add kayaking/canoeing before or after your tubing experience $10
Answer: Yes. Online waivers are available to be filled out via your email confirmation and MUST be filled out. A new waiver must be filled out and signed for each day and for each activity before participating. Waivers can also be found under the waivers link on our website. Waivers are also available onsite. Minors Anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor and must have a parent guardian signature.
Answer: Currently we do not video our trips or have a photographer. We do sell waterproof cell phone cases and waterproof cameras at our outfitter store.
For our unguided trips:
Department of Natural Resources states that “no person shall operate any vessel (tube) while under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance or drug, under the combined influence of alcohol and any controlled substance or any other drug, or while having an alcohol concentration in his or her blood of eight hundredths (.08) of one percent or more, by weight.”
Drunk or drugged boaters pose a serious danger to themselves, our other customers, and our staff and will be asked to leave with no refund. Remember that you are also floating among families, please be responsible with your drinking. Be mindful that in whitewater tubing you will need to navigate rapids, rocks, and be able to self-rescue efficiently.
For our guided trips: Please refrain from bringing alcohol on this trip. Smoketown Brewery is located 1.5 miles of the end of your trip.
Shenandoah River Tubing – Mellow
Coolers are permitted. If you need a cooler tube and strap to connect your cooler to you on the river, we have them! Dimensions of the cooler tube are 21.5′ l x 13′ w x 6.5′ high. Fits a 12 to 36 quart cooler size. They may be reserved ahead of time.
Harpers Ferry Whitewater Tubing on the Potomac
Small, compressible coolers to attach to your tube are allowed on this trip. Drybags for this use are usually available.
Potomac Peaceful River Tubing
Small compressible coolers to attach to your tube are allowed on this trip.
Answer: Please inform your reservation specialist before arrival of any physical or medical conditions of anyone in your group. Also inform your trip leader prior to the trip. We highly recommend you consult a physician prior to participating in our activities if you have any concern. We advise all ASTHMATICS to bring their inhalers. We also advise that anyone who has allergies requiring an epi-pin to bring it. Note: We reserve the right to refuse anyone participating in our adventure activities due to physical, mental or size limitations that, in our opinion, would expose that person or group to extreme risk.
Answer: At River and Trail we have suggested ages for each of our trips. Age limits will change depending on water levels and trip formats.
- Shenandoah Tubing, 4 yrs & 50 lbs
- Potomac Mellow Tubing, 7 yrs & 50 lbs
- Harpers Ferry Whitewater Tubing 12 yrs & 90 lbs
Answer: YES. Always wear your PFD, river levels vary with each step! Our U.S. Coast Guard approved PFDs are required by law, our insurance, and our company policy.
Answer: Like you, your camera will get wet. Things also have a way of going into the river, never to be seen again. This being the case, we would suggest a sturdy strap and a waterproof camera. We do sell waterproof cases for cell phones and waterproof cameras in our outfitter store.
Answer: As stated above “Like you, your cell phone, wallet and keys will get wet. Things also have a way of going into the river, never to be seen again.” This being the case, we recommend that you DO NOT BRING THESE ITEMS ON THE TRIP WITH YOU unless you have a completely waterproof container. Our guided trips carry cell phones for emergency situations. We suggest that you lock your personal belongings in your car trunk and give your keys to our shop staff. Watches can be worn if they are waterproof. Keep in mind that River & Trail is not responsible for any of these items mentioned that are damaged by water if you choose to take them on the trip with you. We try to keep dry boxes and bags for cell phones stocked in our shop.
Answer: Well behaved and obedient dogs are allowed on the Shenandoah River Tubing Trip only. We recommend taking your trip during the week when there are less people, or perhaps during the latest trip of the day at 3 or 4pm on a Saturday or Sunday. Please keep your pup leashed while on land, and do note that there is a country road that parallels the river. Life jackets for pups that do not swim are a must. Please be sure to bring your own. We can provide a tube rental for dogs $20. In the case that someone on the shuttle is allergic to dogs, please be ready to wait for the next available shuttle.
Brunswick family campground
Relax at our riverfront campground beside the Potomac River and the C&O Canal Towpath, just 15 minutes from Harpers Ferry. Tent, RV and cabins available. Bike, canoe, kayak and tube rentals onsite. Playground, pavilions, bath house, camp store. Campers get 10% discount on select River & Trail activities.
Add a morning bike rental on the C&O Canal before your trip! Save $10/person on your tube & bike combo when you book a bike rental for the same day. Bike rental location is 23 minutes from tubing check-in. *Discount will be applied at checkout after both items have been added to your cart.
HARPERS FERRY RAFTING
Stay another day with us and add an entry level whitewater rafting trip to your itinerary. Save $10/person on your tube and raft trip combo when you book them on consecutive days. *Discount will be applied at checkout after both items have been added to your cart.