Scouts Adventure Programs
Boy & Girl Scouts near Harpers Ferry, WV.
Boy & Girl Scouts Outdoor Adventures near Harpers Ferry, West Virginia
Special Adventure Packages for Scouts
Harpers Ferry White Water Rafting, Kayaking & Canoeing, Tubing, Zip Lining, Hiking, Teambuilding & More.
Only one hour from Washington DC & Baltimore beltways, River & Trail Outfitters has been serving Scouts, both Girl Scout and Boy Scouts Troops for almost 50 years.
River & Trail founder Lee Baihly was an Eagle Scout with a passion for getting youth outside to experience our local rivers and trails. Enjoy affordable, proven adventure packages offering skills development, teambuilding, and lots of fun at an affordable price.
Earn Scout Merit Badges!
- Boy Scouts can earn Whitewater Merit Badges.
- Girl Scouts can earn the Ultimate Recreation Badge or the Senior Paddling Badge.
- Brownies can earn the Brownie Adventurer Badge.
GIRL SCOUT DAYS – see dates in the trips outlined below
- Join our Girl Scout Days where troops band together for tons of fun!
- Small troops of under 10 people can receive quantity pricing by going on these days.
- It’s an opportunity to meet and greet area troops and enjoy a shared adventure.
Shenandoah and Potomac River Rafting
This 3-4 hour beginner trip takes you down the final stretches of the Shenandoah River as it tumbles into the Potomac by Harpers Ferry, West Virginia. Led by our knowledgeable guides, rafters will experience a mixture of mellow water and rapids ranging from Class I-III. Guides are trained in local and natural history as well as river safety. A riverside snack is included on the trip.
- Excellent beginner whitewater fun!
- 15% off between May 1-26 & Sep 5- Oct 31. Double discounts do not apply.
- Scout Days: June 4th, Sunday and October 7th, Saturday @ 9:00 am, $58/person + taxes/fees *open to Boy Scouts also!
- Group rates always available.
- Minimum age: 7 & 50 lbs.
Canoeing Trips on the Potomac or Shenandoah Rivers, and Antietam Creek
- Half day, full day, multi day trips
- Mellow water to Class III whitewater
- Includes all equipment, shuttle, certified guides available
- Discounts available. Minimum age 7 & 50 lbs.
Tubing Trips on the Potomac or Shenandoah Rivers
Join us for tubing the Potomac or Shenandoah Rivers, voted among the top 10 Tubing Rivers among USA Today Reader’s Choice. Most troops will enjoy mellow tubing on the Shenandoah River 6 miles above Harpers Ferry. Troops with scouts 12 years & older and 90 lbs, can opt for Whitewater Tubing on the Potomac by Harpers Ferry. Both trips are 1-2 hours depending on water levels. The mellow tubing trip may be run twice, with the second run for free, if time and conditions allow.
- Your choice of tubing on the Shenandoah or Potomac
- Get 15% off before Jun 23 and after Aug 18 (except Labor Day Weekend)
- Promo code: SCOUTTUBE for 15% off
- Minimum age: 7 & 50 lbs. or 12 & 90 lbs. for whitewater
- Group rates are always available
Kayaking lessons include an on-land paddling orientation covering equipment, safety, and need-to-knows. All participants should bring a bag lunch, followed by a scenic 5.5 mile paddle on the Potomac River from Brunswick to Point of Rocks.
- Includes paddling orientation, guides, equipment, shuttle
- Earn steps 1-4 of the Senior Paddling Badge
- Girl Scout Days: Sundays, May 22nd and Oct 1st from 10am-2pm
- $59 + taxes/fees.
- Minimum age 7 & 50 lbs. Must be 12 yrs old to use a single kayak. Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult in a tandem kayak.
Rock & River
Try some healthy, outdoor fun with a choice of activities that will please everyone. This adventure-packed party includes climbing our outdoor wall with hydraulic belay, followed by one to two hours of mellow tubing at our relaxing riverside venue.
- Great combination of physical and fun!
- $41/person + taxes/fees
- Girl Scout Days: Sundays, Jun 11 and Sep 10 from 11am-3pm
- Minimum age: 7 & 50 lbs
- Other dates available for groups of 30 or more
This guided hike by River and Trail Outfitters teaches you the skills you need to survive if you get lost in the woods. It’s a perfect event for girl scouts and boy scouts who can earn badges while familiarizing themselves with the wilderness. Minimum of 10 people except for on the Days for Scouts.
Hear survival stories and learn pre-hike planning
- Learn about manufacturing and purifying water
- Build a debris hut
- Minimum age: 9
- Girl Scout Days: Earth Day Saturday, Apr 22nd and Oct 21 from 11am-3pm
Scavenger Hunt Scout Packages
Harpers Ferry Scavenger Hunt: Learn about the history of Harpers Ferry while finding clues in the museums and monuments of the town. Developed by two local history teachers, in conjunction with experts from the National Park, this historical scavenger hunt provides a fun way to teach history as well as foster team work. Other teambuilding packages also available.
- Explore & learn in a fun and experiential way
- May be combined with a rafting trip
- Great half day activity starting at 1pm
- $27.50 including fees. Minimum age 8 & 50 lbs.
Brunswick Family Campground on the Potomac River
Convenient, affordable, riverside camping is what your scouts will love! The Brunswick Family Campground is within 30 minutes of 5 National Parks & Trails including the Antietam Battlefield, Harpers Ferry, C&O Canal, and the Appalachian Trail. An area rich in history and natural beauty, this unique campground is your gateway to adventure!
- Tent Camping, Cabins, RVs
- Located on the C&O Canal and Potomac River
- Within 15 minutes of Harpers Ferry, WV
- Onsite canoeing, kayaking, tubing Jun-Oct
- Scout rate for tent camping $12/person
GROUP ONLY TOURS
These tours are available for groups only. Minimum group sizes apply. Terrific outdoor fun with hiking, canoeing and kayaking, and ziplining, only an hour away from the DC/Baltimore Metro Area – what could be better!!,