Boat & Brew – Abolitionist Ale Brewery Tour
- Dates: Saturday Aug 3 & Oct 5 + Labor Day Monday Sep 2
- Duration: 6 hours
- Price: $89
- Includes: Guide, Equipment, Shuttle, Beer Tasting, Artisan Pizza
- Location: Charles Town, WV
River & Trail Outfitters has teamed up with Abolitionist Ale, in Charles Town, WV to craft a fun, festive and flavorful day where participants paddle the mellow, wilderness-surrounded Shenandoah River and then enjoy a craft beer tasting along with a personal artisan pizza.
The splash and spirit day kicks off with a guided 3-to-7-mile mellow kayak or canoe tour – depending on water levels – down the winding tree-lined Shenandoah River. Nestled in lush wilderness of the picturesque Shenandoah Valley, the river is encircled by the sprawling Blue Ridge Mountains. Deer, otters and beaver are often spotted along and beyond the shoreline, while there are plenty of Blue Herons, Egrets and Osprey on the water – and an occasional Bald Eagle overhead.
At Abolitionist Ale Works
Started by brother’s Josh and Michael Vance, the brewery name reflects the history of the area and the site of abolitionist John Brown’s trial and hanging which started the Civil War. But it also reflects the desire to abolish the status quo of beer culture. Specializing in flavorful, creative craft beers with natural ingredients, the brothers like to come out with different creative varieties of beer every week. Abolitionist Ale Works beer cannot be found on shelves at the grocery store or on tap at your local watering hole. The brews are only available at the company’s brewpub, nestled in historic Charles Town.
Add a $2.50 user fee/person
- Choice of tandem canoe, tandem kayak or single kayak
- Life vest and paddle
- Shuttle service
- Personal artisan pizza
- Craft beer tasting
Group discounts for groups of 25 or more available
2019 Tour Dates
- July 5, Friday
- August 3, Saturday
- September 2, Monday
- October 5, Saturday
Less than 1 days notice? Call 301-834-9950
Spaces fill fast!
Groups of 15 or more call to book your private trip
- 10:45am Check in at near the river take-out in Millville, WV
- 11:15-11:30 am Depart for river put-in
- 3:00-4:00 pm Take off the water, shuttle back to your car, change, and then head to distillery.
- Drive your car to the brewery 11 minutes away. Parking available on the street outside.
- At the brewery, kick back and enjoy a craft beer tasting and pizza
*Trip length may vary according to current water levels. Please plan accordingly.
What to bring
For the river trip: Be sure and bring a sack lunch/snack in a waterproof, compressible bag, and plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated
What to bring
- dry change of clothes
- suntan lotion
- glasses strap
- water bottle
River and Trail Outfitters Store Supplies:
- Snacks and drinks
- Trip Souvenirs such as t-shirts, hats, and patches
- Items you might forget like suntan lotion, inexpensive river shoes
- Quality outdoor gear such as kayaks, canoes, and paddling gear
AFTER THE TRIP, DIRECTIONS TO ABOLITIONIST ALE WORKS FOR THE TASTING:
Head southwest on Millville Road for a few hundred feet. Turn right onto Blair Road. In 1.5 miles, turn left onto 340 heading south. Continue for 2.4 miles into Charles Town. The venue is on your left.
We Look Forward To You Joining Us!
Please Note: Spaces on these popular trips are limited and fill fast. Book Now To Secure Your Spot!