Savage River Dam Release
- Dates: Jun 2, Jul 1, Sep 29
- Duration: 4 hours
- Price: $99
- Includes: Snack, tail-gate cookout, guide, shuttle, wet suit, and equipment
- Location: near Bloomington, MD
River & Trail Outfitters introduces the Savage River for those looking for more white water rafting thrills. This dam release run is continuous Class III-IV whitewater rafting, which translates to five miles of crashing waves, drops, and some serious non-stop fun!
The Savage River is best known as the site of World Whitewater Championships and Olympic Whitewater Trials, as well as one of the finest trout streams in the East. Lying within the boundaries of the massive 50,000 acre Savage River State Forest in Garrett County, MD, the Savage and its tributaries flow through some of the last remaining old growth forests in Maryland.
This trip, only three hours from the Washington DC area, is perfect as a day, overnight, or weekend getaway. Our all-inclusive rafting adventure features a snack between trips, tasty barbecue tail-gating style after both runs, guide in each raft, shuttle, equipment, and wet suit if needed.
For those who want to make a getaway or mini vacation of the trip, the area offers many outdoor and indoor activities that would interest visitors of all ages. Join River & Trail for this full day trip on the Savage, world class intermediate rafting at its best!
- All Inclusive: $99/person
*Add 5% amusement fee + $2.50 user fee
- Groups of 10-24: $5 off/person
- Groups of 25+: $6 off/person
*Groups must pay collectively to be eligible for group discounts.
- June 2nd 9am Saturday
- July 1st 9am Sunday
- September 29th 9am Saturday
- Snack between runs.
- Tailgate Cookout after the trip.
- Guide in each raft.
- Shuttle for transportation.
- Wetsuits are included and recommended, but are dependent on weather and water temperature.
Length of trip: Approximately 3 hours on the river, includes two runs
Maximum number of people per raft: 5 people
Required Minimum Age: 14 years old
Most likely you will need a wetsuit for this trip due to the cooler temperatures of dam released water.
When making a reservation, please provide your height, weight, and T-shirt size so we can get the right wetsuit for you.
If the temperatures are in the 70s or above and you do not wish to wear a wetsuit, we suggest you wear the following:
- Synthetic shirt layers (silk, Under Armour, wool, fleece).
- Waterproof jacket.
- Leggings (Spandex, Under Armour, fleece-lined).
- Waterproof pants.
- Wool or fleece socks.
- Neoprene booties, old sneakers, or Teva-type sandals.
*Important: No flip flops or cotton.
Other Things You Should Bring
- Dry change of clothes
- Water bottle
- Glasses strap
- Folding chair for the tailgate cookout!
Savage River Dam Release Driving Directions
The following driving directions are for the Savage Dam release trip only, taking place during specific weekends. For directions to our Harpers Ferry location where many of our other trips take place, please click here
From Baltimore / Washington D.C.
Take 70 W to Hancock. Exit onto 68 W towards Cumberland. Near Frostburg, exit onto 36 S at exit # 34. Continue on 36 to Westernport. In Westernport turn R onto Church Rd. (135 W). Follow 135 W through Luke and Bloomington. In Bloomington, turn L onto Hamill then L onto Owens, continue straight down the hill and park in the small field on the left hand side at the bottom of the hill.
Location Address and GPS coordinates: 39.476356, -79.069764
89 Owens Ave Bloomington, MD 21523
Overnight Lodging Options for the Savage Dam Release Weekend
Camping & Cabins:
– Mineral Co. Parks Basic Cabins: 304-788-5732 (20-30 min)
(bunk beds sleep 4)
– Robert W. Craig Memorial Campground: 1-877-444-6777
(min. of 3 night stay on holiday weekends, minutes from meeting location)
– Mason Dixon Campground: 814-634-5982 (45 min)
– The Trails Inn & Cafe: 301-689-6466 (40 min)
Luxury Cabins with Nearby Lodge:
– Savage River Lodge: 301-689-3200 (40 min)
Hotels in La Vale, MD:
– Best Western Braddock Inn: 301-729-3300
Hotels in Frostburg, MD: (a fun University town with a lively Main Street)
– Failinger’s Hotel Gunter: 301-689-6511 (40 min)
– Hampton Inn Frostburg: 301-689-1998 (35 min)
– Day’s Inn Frostburg: 301-689-2050 (35 min)
Hotels in Cumberland, MD:
– Sleep Inn & Suites: 301-759-0270 (40 min)
Hotels in Keyser, WV:
– Candlewyck Inn: 304-788-6594 (20 min)
– Keyser Inn: 304-788-0913 (20 min)
We Look Forward To You Joining Us!
Please Note: Spaces on these popular trips are limited and fill fast. Book Now To Secure Your Spot!